When the Dutch aircraft carrier HNLMS Karel Doorman docked at Shearwater, I was just a guy nearby hauling fuel drums with a mule. Naturally, I abandoned my post to see if they’d let me on board.
The Dutch crew didn't just welcome me; they treated me like a returning war hero. They marched me straight to the canteen and introduced me to the Eighth Wonder of the World: premium Dutch beer, available 24/7 for about 15 cents a bottle.
Being a "good friend," I shared the news. Within hours, most of the base had swarmed that ship like a plague of thirsty locusts. The Dutch have this thing about Canadians, and they just couldn't say NO. We didn't just drink; we performed a tactical strike on their inventory, draining the ship bone-dry in three days
The aftermath was legendary. The Navy actually had to scramble a Hercules transport plane to fly across the Atlantic to Holland just to emergency-refill the ship’s liquid rations. As for us? We were not allowed on board again.

No comments:
Post a Comment